Sunday, July 17, 2011

Unrequited: The Antithesis of a Love Story

"You're a lover, I'm a runner. ...Got a gypsy soul to blame and I was born for leaving." -  Zac Brown Band

I can jump out of a plane, jump off a bridge, scale a mountain, ride a bull, do just about anything that most people would deem insane with little or no fear. But I do have one fear...It ties my gut in knots and makes me want to run for the hills. The worst four letter word of them all, love.

I'm neither jaded nor optimistic when it comes to the topic. I feel most comfortable when I'm alone.Travel is my love. Travel is safe. The road isn't going to wake up one day and say, "Thanks for the past 22 years...but I don't like you all that much anymore." I feel a need to be in constant motion...always a new venture on the horizon. I looked into a copy of one of my old books and came across a mini rant about the road and how it takes a person over. Appears old habits die hard. Funny...I speak of living a life with passion, looking fear in the eye, never letting that fire die. However, when it comes to love I have become what I loathe the most...a nihilist. It'll take one hell of a person to change my ways, to convince me otherwise. Flawed, I know. But it works for me. Honestly, with the people I've come across they leave me more and more indifferent. So much bullshit, so little time. Injecting integrity into the dating world seems far-fetched.

No comments:

Post a Comment